Below is the second part of the Big Christmas Car Quiz. Good luck…
The question is the answer
One of the statements is correct – can you guess which one?
41. Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning…
- a. founded the Tesla automobile company
- b. were the first Germans to cross Antarctica aboard a Beetle
- vs. invented the turbocharger in 1973
42. The asshole …
- a. is the code name given by Jaguar engineers to the grille of the Jaguar S-Type
- b. was the original name given by motorcycle racers for a corner on the Snetterton racing circuit. Officials later changed the name to its current title – the bomb hole
- vs. is a slang term used in automotive development for a very common part – that is, every car has one
43. Titanium …
- a. was originally proposed for the turn signal stems of the new MINI before cost savings forced BMW to switch to plastic
- b. was to be the name of Ford’s electric SUV before bosses opted for the Mustang Mach-E
- vs. was the material used for the official tool kit that came with the McLaren F1 road car
44. IAMAUTO …
- a. was the temporary name adopted by Damon Hill as part of an Audi marketing stunt in 1995
- b. was the name of the car company created by singer will.i.am
- vs. was the development code name of the Volkswagen ID.3
45. Gentleman function …
- a. was a feature built into the BMW 7 Series iDrive system that allowed the driver to move the passenger seat
- b. was the name of a short-lived Daihatsu pickup
- vs. is a feature of the Bentley Bentayga which cools the base of the driver’s seat in a certain area
46. Duroplast …
- a. was a plaster / Kevlar composite developed for the Ferrari F40
- b. was a solid rubber alternative created by Michelin in the 1940s
- vs. was the material used to make Trabant body panels
47. A shark …
- a. motif has been hidden in Vauxhalls interiors since 2004
- b. was used as a ballast during final testing for the Ford F-150
- vs. was the original Tesla patented logo, later changed to the letter T
48. Fonty Herd …
- a. is the patented name for the textured material used on the dashboard of the BMW i3
- b. was an American NASCAR driver who won 19 races
- vs. is the derogatory term used by automotive engineers for design teams who create car badges and nameplates
49. Mysterious utility assistant …
- a. was Subaru’s official name for its first on-board computer, which appeared on the 1992 Legacy
- b. was the development name of the Renault Espace when it was translated into English
- vs. was the name of the Japanese national market for the Isuzu rodeo
50. Lighting and signage …
- a. faults are the most common reasons for MoT failures in the UK
- b. errors are the most common reasons for failing driving tests in the UK
- vs. were both additional options on the original 1959 Mini
Can you determine the make and model names of the car from these cryptic descriptions?
- 51. Aid efforts
- 52. In a tinted fantasy
- 53. I speak well
- 54. Baby gently eaten
- 55. Roller cyclones for urinals
- 56. ironic companion
- 57. A dock salsa
- 58. Polka gloves won
- 59. I ride a chic van
- 60. The toilet fools me
Get your smart car parts on …
61. In which old car component would you find a float chamber and needle?
- a. Carburetor
- b. Speedometer
- vs. Catalytic converter
62. Radial and cross-ply are types of what?
- a. Flying
- b. Seat fabrics
- vs. Tire construction
63. In which part of a car would you find an intermediate shaft?
- a. Gearbox
- b. Seat slide
- vs. Ignition coil
64. Cd is a measure of the what of a car?
- a. Efficiency of the catalytic converter
- b. Comfort levels
- vs. Coefficient of drag
65. Americans call them rocker panels. How are they better known here?
- a. Camshafts
- b. Thresholds
- vs. Shock absorbers
66. MacPherson and DeDion are types of what?
- a. Four-wheel drive systems
- b. Gear switch
- vs. Suspension systems
67. How many cylinders did the original Smart City Coupé have?
68. What are the links between the Mazda MX-30, the BMW i3 and the Rolls-Royce Phantom?
- a. They were all designed by Frank Stephenson
- b. They all have hinged rear doors
- vs. They are all Indonesian Car of the Year winners
69. Wiper systems that pivot on the sides of a car are called what?
- a. Hand windshield wipers
- b. Waver windshield wipers
- vs. Oppowipers
70. Volkswagen’s first electric car, the Golf Citystromer, had a battery capacity of what?
- a. 0.5kWh
- b. 11.4 kWh
- vs. 3.6 kWh
Can you name the fourth element to complete the chain?
71. Esses-Tertre-Rouge-Mulsanne-? (Hint: where the runners go all day)
- a. Indianapolis
- b. Stowe
- vs. Saint Devotee
72. Mulally 2006-Champs 2014-Hackett 2017–? (Hint: Blue Oval bosses are impatiently waiting)
- a. District 2019
- b. Wright 2019
- vs. Farley 2020
73. Frankley-Strensham-Gloucester–? (Hint: take five and rest)
- a. Michaelwood
- b. St Ives
- vs. Keele
74. Intake-compression-combustion–? (Hint: it’s not a question of caressing (4))
- a. Admission
- b. Exhaust
- vs. Dissolve
75. Sunbeam Alpine-Bentley 3½ Liter-Aston Martin DB5–? (Hint: Bond’s Fabulous First Four)
- a. Lotus spirit
- b. Bmw z3
- vs. Toyota 2000GT
76. Cortina-Escort-Fiesta–? (Hint: 1980 bestsellers)
- a. Penthouse
- b. Mini
- vs. Chevette
77. Bahrain-Emilia-Romagna-Portugal–? (Hint: the formula for the 2021 globetrotter)
- a. Spain
- b. Singapore
- vs. Belgium
78. Carrera-Carrera 4-Carrera S – ?. (Hint: the price of the Stuttgart coupe goes up)
- a. Turbo
- b. Carrera 4S
- vs. Targa
79. ID.3-ID.4-Enyaq iV–? (Hint: Sparky Volkswagen Group MEB arrivals in order)
- a. Q4 e-tron
- b. e-Golf
- vs. ID.5
80. Ford F-Series – Chevrolet Silverado – Ram Pickup–? (Hint: favorites in the United States in 2020)
Can you identify the production cars in these cultural puzzles?
81. Which car appeared in the title of Wilson Pickett’s hit in 1966?
- a. Mustang
- b. Jaguar E-Type
- vs. Corvette
82. In series 11 of the comedy Curb Your Enthusiasm, what is Larry David driving?
83. In the 1991 movie Thelma and Louise, which car are the two main characters driving?
- a. Ford bronco
- b. Ford GT40
- vs. Ford thunderbird
84. What type of car was used, and frequently destroyed, by the Duke brothers on The Dukes of Hazzard TV show?
- a. Pacer AMC
- b. Dodge charger
- vs. Lincoln Continental
85. In the sixth series of the Line of Duty television series, DI Kate Fleming drives which cars?
86. Artists Roy Lichtenstein, Andy Warhol and David Hockney have all created “art cars” for which car brand?
- a. Bmw
- b. Renault
- vs. Lamborghini
87. What car did TV sleuth Gene Hunt drive in Life on Mars?
88. In 2006, Lamborghini partnered with which brand to develop a limited number of Murcielago LP640 models?
- a. Versace
- b. Lego
- vs. Apple
89. In the Pixar Cars film series, what kind of vehicle is Mater?
- a. NASCAR racing car
- b. Tow truck
- vs. Hearse
90. In Jurassic Park, which cars were used as tour vehicles?
Spot the detail
Can you identify these new cars from their photos?
Christmas Car Quiz Archives
If you take the 2021 Christmas quiz and it somehow doesn’t meet your appetite for car trivia, there are always the Auto Express Christmas quizzes from previous years to re-engage you. (all questions and answers are correct at the time of writing).