Newark, New Jersey – Technics today announced the SL-G700M2, the successor to the highly respected SL-G700 network/Super Audio CD player, featuring new digital and analog technologies to improve performance and sound.
The establishment of various high-resolution formats (including SACD) and the emergence of high-quality streaming platforms and the continued resurgence of vinyl records have created an increased demand for premium sound. As a multi-digital audio player, the new SL-G700 supports MQA®, numerous high-resolution audio sources and a wide variety of music streaming services, in addition to Super Audio CD®/CD playback.
Years of R&D Contribute to New Digital/Analog Signal Processing Technology
In developing next-generation digital audio signal processing technology, Technics’ goal has been to achieve ideal phase alignment and impulse response. Starting with LAPC (Load Adaptive Phase Calibration), which was first integrated into the SE-R1 in 2014 and continuing with Space Tune and the PHONO Response Optimizer, this concept has been consistently applied depending on the product. and class.
An accumulation of these technologies gave birth to the high-precision coherent D/A converter, now available in the SL-G700M2. The high-precision coherent D/A converter converts digital values into analog signals with the highest precision and outputs them to an amplifier. It is comprised of (1) coherent processing, (2) a high-performance D/A converter in dual monaural configuration, and (3) proprietary discrete amplifier circuitry.
- Consistent processing. This technology improves the reproducibility of pulse signals by minimizing the amplitude and phase deviations that occur throughout the D/A conversion process for signals up to 192 kHz PCM using signal processing exclusive digital.* With this processing, the purity of the sound is increased and the sound image is clearer.
- High performance D/A converter in dual mono configuration. Dual ESS ES9026PRO is newly adopted for DAC chip. The symmetrical placement of an L/R unit on each side and their independent transmission structures reduce mutual interference and faithfully reproduce the sound image and musical space contained in the sound source.
- Proprietary discrete amplifier circuit. The filter circuit after D/A conversion uses an amplifier circuit with a unique discrete configuration instead of an operational amplifier IC. This achieves even higher responsiveness and S/N and reproduces even the most subtle sounds.
*DSD signals such as Super Audio CD® are input directly to the DAC without performing this processing.
Power supply noise suppression completely eliminates unwanted effects on tiny signals
Digital audio players that handle small signals require full noise cancellation because even the slightest noise can dramatically affect sound quality. The SL-G700M2 is equipped with a multi-stage silent power supply that applies and deploys developed and proven technologies. The multi-stage silent power supply offers comprehensive three-stage noise cancellation: (1) high-speed switching power supply, (2) low-noise regulator, and (3) current injection active noise cancellation.
- High-speed switching power supply. The SL-G700M2 uses an approximately 300 kHz high-speed switching power supply, which is also used for the analog circuits of the SU-R1000 reference integrated amplifier. By increasing the switching frequency, noise interference on the music playback bandwidth is reduced and a highly responsive power supply is achieved.
- Silent regulator. Combined with the original stabilized power supply circuit, this dedicated power supply provides stable power with low noise. The discrete circuit structure uses no general purpose ICs and careful tuning provides optimized power for analog circuits. Low high-level noise and stable power supply are achieved through fine-tuning of circuit models.
- Active noise suppression by current injection. This newly developed technology removes unwanted noise components by applying a reverse phase current to the detected noise. More effective current noise rejection can be achieved by using the push/pull method in combination with conventional noise rejection by pulling current.
The SL-G700M2 now supports USB-B input, as well as a wide variety of music sources, including Super Audio CD® and MQA
High definition disc playback
This model supports playback of Super Audio CD®, which is a high quality audio disc format. For better sound quality, a “Pure Disc Playback” mode is dedicated to Super Audio CD®/CD playback. In this mode, all circuit blocks except those required for Super Audio CD®/CD playback are disabled to reduce internal noise and improve sound quality.
Supports various high resolution formats in addition to MQA®
This model supports MQA and is able to fully decode playing MQA files and MQA CDs. A variety of other high-resolution formats are also supported, including WAV/AIFF up to 384kHz/32bit, FLAC/ALAC up to 384kHz/24bit, and DSD up to 11.2MHz for file playback.
Improved network playback functions
This model supports Chromecast built-in, which enables a wide range of music streaming services from Google Chromecast-enabled apps, as well as AirPlay 2. Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® wireless connections are also supported .
The SL-G700M2 is equipped with a new USB-B port that allows constant connection to a network audio server or PC for playback of high-resolution sound sources from the connected device.
The case and chassis support high sound quality and high-quality design
The SL-G700M2 is divided into four sections inside the chassis, with the power supply, digital interface, analog circuits and disk drive sections, each independent of the other. This suppresses mutual interference between circuits and reduces sound quality degradation. The disk drive adopts a three-layer chassis configuration. A powerful silent and anti-vibration construction, including a die-cast aluminum disc platter, ensures high-precision disc playback.
The exterior features a 7mm thick aluminum front panel and 3mm thick aluminum side panels, along with an engraved Technics logo for a high quality design and finish.
The SL-G700M2 will be available from Technics resellers for an MSRP of $3,499.99 in late January 2023.
Dan Unger: [email protected]
Lauren Camdzic: [email protected]
The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Panasonic Holdings Corporation is under license. Other trademarks and trade names belong to their respective owners.
Use of the Works with Apple badge means that an accessory has been designed to work specifically with the technology identified in the badge and has been certified by the developer to meet Apple performance standards.
Apple and AirPlay are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the US and other countries. This product is compatible with AirPlay 2. iOS 11.4 or later is required.
The Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ logo is a certification mark of the Wi-Fi Alliance®. The Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ logo is a certification mark of the Wi-Fi Alliance®.
Google, Google Home and Chromecast built-in are trademarks of Google LLC. Google Assistant is not available in some languages and countries.
“Super Audio CD” is a registered trademark.
MQA is a registered trademark of MQA Limited.
“DSD” is a registered trademark.